Protein compensation for fasting

fhutt

23 Jun, 2017 02:59 AM

I am thinking of doing some intermittent fasting to aid in reducing my insulin. I am thinking of doing a 36 hour fast each week. This will entail not eating from a dinner, until the breakfast on the day following the next day. So, for one full day I will not consume any food. I have done this before without any problems. My glucose drops really nicely before that breakfast.

Now, the protein - I need to about 50gm per day, so in one week it should tally to about 350gm.
On the eating days do I consume 50 gm per day or 350/6 = 58gm to make up for the fast day?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Ken Smith on 23 Jun, 2017 08:16 AM

• Those following Dr. Rosedale's recommended diet can essentially reap the same benefits - "without having to fast"

• Would eating extra protein to make up for doing without really be fasting?

Intermittent Fasting

Ken/

2. 2 Posted by fhutt on 23 Jun, 2017 08:25 AM

Yes, I read that.
    However, he also said that "intermittent fasting is fine and I think it especially has benefits for those not following my diet."

I am having trouble complying at present since I have a number of invitations coming up, that I cannot refuse. Therefore, I feel that fasting afterwards would be the fastest way to get back on course. I am used to fasting, so, I see no reason not to take advantage of it.

However, I don't know what to do about the protein intake, do I compensate or not?.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Ken Smith on 23 Jun, 2017 09:01 AM

Excess Protein   will raise BS/BG - the up and down of insulin is not doing you any favors - ones' aim should be to have BS/BG be steady between point A and point B.

• Dropping below point A and then going above point B takes its toll on the body - which will eventually cost you, the choice is yours.

Ken/

4. 4 Posted by fhutt on 23 Jun, 2017 09:24 AM

From the link, I think that Dr Rosdale is saying that during those eating days the excess protein will be converted to glucose or fat and not be held over for the fast day. Therefore, I should only consume the 50gm (the require amount) on the eating days without trying to compensate because it won't work.

I assume this is what you are trying to tell me.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac