Low Protein Effect on Lean Muscle Mass

's Avatar

tstewart402

14 Nov, 2016 02:31 PM

Dr. Rosedale,

I just watched your presentation from the Vail low carb event. I found it fascinating! But I'm curious, I've been told that not enough protein will result in losing lean muscle mass.

You proposed in your presentation the .6g/kg of lean muscle mass is optimal for longevity and cancer prevention.

Is this enough to maintain lean muscle mass?

Is this enough to build lean muscle mass?

Is gaining lean muscle mass counter productive to longevity?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Ken on 06 Dec, 2016 11:58 PM

Dr. Rosedale is very busy these days and may address this at a later date.

Ken/   Rosedale Team

2. 2 Posted by Laddu on 22 Feb, 2017 12:04 PM

I would love to know an answer to those questions as well.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Ken on 22 Feb, 2017 10:57 PM

Hi Laddu

Dr. Rosedale may address this at a later date.

Ken/   Rosedale Team

My Journey - Rosedale Diet   and   More of my journey

4. 4 Posted by Rimon on 08 Mar, 2017 02:47 PM

Hello, I think I can answer that since my work and Rosedale coincides, including working with people with similar strategies.
    The answer is a bit tricky. If you have been on a high protein regimen and use high-intensity training, going on medium to low protein regimen will result in a temporary muscle loss. It is due to a healthy reduction in IGF-1, insulin (assuming you are not insulin resistant), and probably testosterone too. Also, if you exercise, you will need to avoid reaching into failure and avoid muscle damage.

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Ken on 08 Mar, 2017 06:37 PM

Thank you Rimon

Ken/

6. 6 Posted by Rimon on 08 Mar, 2017 07:41 PM

(Continue) Most people with average diets, won't experience a difference in muscle mass but they may lose a bit just in the beginning until the body becomes accustomed to adequate protein. Then, it will stabilize. In fact, the body will become very good at maintaining the exact lean mass at all times regardless of the environment versus other people who are more likely to fluctuate.

Having said that, the older you are, and the bigger the metabolic problems that you experience (high blood sugar, etc.), there is a good chance that you will GAIN lean mass – sans exercise. I have seen this several times. This is due to improved insulin sensitivity and the halt of burning muscles and bones as a fuel. I guess that everyone over age 60 will experience that.

7. 7 Posted by Laddu on 08 Mar, 2017 07:55 PM

Thank you for this update. Nice insight and explanation. My concern was more on the diet side, and how to keep the protein under control, since the foods I eat for high fat also have high protein. I am reaching 100g almost daily, and my target should be around 70g. So still a lot above the target...

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac